Which candidates are pro-life?
www.rnclife.org

January 8, 2009
Hutchison to Challenge Perry for Texas Governor

All signs point to the likelihood that U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison intends to leave her Senate seat early in order to run for Governor of Texas in 2010. In doing so, unless incumbent Governor Rick Perry decides not to seek re-election, Hutchison will be challenging a sitting Republican governor in a Republican Primary.

On December 18, 2008, Governor Perry announced his support for House Bill 109, to create a "Choose Life" license plate for Texas, in order to promote adoption as an alternative to abortion. The bill will be considered during the 2009 session of the Texas Legislature, which convenes every two years for 140 days. The move was welcomed by activists around the state and should fortify Perry's support among the Republican Party's pro-life and pro-family base in anticipation of the Hutchison challenge. At a news conference Governor Perry said, "The majority of Texans believe in the sanctity of life, and this license plate will give them a means to tell the world in a subtle but meaningful way, while providing support to pregnant women making the decision to choose adoption." Passage of the bill would allow citizens to purchase "Choose Life" license plates at the cost of $30, with $22 going to groups that provide counseling or other services to pregnant mothers considering adoption for their babies.

Governor Perry has consistently supported pro-life legislation in Texas, although on the fundamental question of restoring legal protection of the right to life for babies in the womb, he makes exceptions for those conceived through rape or incest, a position we earnestly hope he will abandon for one respecting every innocent baby's life. He does oppose Roe v. Wade and embryonic stem cell research (ESCR).

Senator Hutchison, on the other hand, is a member of the pro-choice WISH List (Women in the Senate and House), a political committee dedicated to electing pro-abortion-choice Republican women to Congress. She supports legal abortion for the first six months of a baby's life (until viability), and voted in 2003 to reaffirm Roe v. Wade. In addition, she has been an outspoken advocate of taxpayer funding for research involving the killing of human embryos (ESCR). She opposes the pro-life plank in the Republican National Platform.

Nevertheless, voters could easily be misled by a recent mailing sent out by the Hutchison exploratory committee. In it, she claims a 94% pro-life voting record according to the National Right to Life Committee (NRLC) Scorecard. Most of those votes were related to bills restricting or regulating the practice of abortion, or reducing or restricting taxpayer funding for abortions. The other 6% reflect her vote to reaffirm Roe and her votes on ESCR. The NRLC Scorecard does not reflect a legislator's view on the fundamental individual right to life because Congress has not considered a human life constitutional amendment or any legislation that would restore legal protection to the unborn. Unless Texans are familiar with her true position, they will be deceived by the perception created by the reference to her voting record.

Pro-lifers in Texas will be watching these developments carefully.


Never forget that YOU were once an embryo.

Republican National
Coalition for Life


Join us on Facebook!
If you would like to make a contribution to support our work, please send your donation to:
RNC/Life - P.O. Box 618 - Alton, IL 62002 
Or you may charge your contribution
on Master Card or Visa by calling 618/462-5415.  
(Contributions are not tax-deductible)

Thank you very much for your support!

You can help!

Republican National Coalition for Life    Box 618    Alton    Illinois 62002
618-462-5415    Fax: 618-462-8909    E-mail